The Epidemic of Woo
- Viv’s cute birthday fairytale cabin
- Don’t put jade eggs in your vagina
- Join our Nomad Feminist Book Club!
- It’s not just nomads: millennials and queers also love astrology
- Washington Post article about astrology instead of therapy
- We hear from Kayla
- Thanks to Christine for contributing your voice memo!
- The Wing - cool feminist co-working space in the States!
- Listen to Secret Feminist Agenda
- Women of colour get worse health care than white women
- Thanks to listener Abby for her thoughts!
- John Oliver’s church tax stunt
- The Guardian’s Why We Fell for Clean Eating
- Belle Gibson and Pete Evans, the Australian diet scammers
- Thanks Kyrie for weighing in!
- John Oliver’s climate science stunt
- Check out Heather Thorkelson’s podcast
- Carl Sagan’s pale blue dot quote
- Thanks Nicole for sharing your thoughts with us!
- Placebo effect study! Surgery placebo effect. Kids in a cancer ward, destroying the cancer cells - those kids did better with their treatment regimens
Viv’s critical thinking toolkit:
- Is there scientific evidence? Look for peer-reviewed studies
- Is it expensive? You could probably buy a book and get the same info?
- Who is selling it? Is it a white guru?
- Is it dogmatic? Do they have strict all-or-nothing rules?
Special thanks to Kyrie, Christine, Nicole, Abby, and Kayla for sharing their thoughts with us and to Heather for letting us use a clip from her podcast. Thanks to our personal protective crystal Madame Gandhi for our amazing backing music, Yellow Sea.
Don’t forget, you can support Nomad + Spice on Patreon for as little as $1: patreon.com/nomadandspice
Please don’t forget to give us a 5 STAR rating in Apple Podcasts or tell a friend about us - it really helps new people to find the podcast! And don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss a single episode.